Bolton Library and Museum Services

Local authority records

The links below take you to expanded lists.

Search tip: if you are looking for something specific try using "Ctrl F". This will open a search box in your browser that will allow you to quickly jump to items of interest within any page (particularly effective if you use Firefox).

Alternatively you can scroll down the page.


Bolton Metropolitan Borough

Bolton Metropolitan Borough was established by the Local Government Act, 1972, with effect from 1st April 1974. It consists of the whole of the former Bolton County Borough, Farnworth Municipal Borough and the Urban Districts of Blackrod, Horwich, Kearsley, Little Lever and Westhoughton. The Metropolitan Borough also includes the southern part of Turton Urban District (Bromley Cross, Bradshaw and Harwood). North Turton, including Belmont, Chapeltown, Edgworth and Entwistle, is in the borough of Blackburn with Darwen.

Borough Council

  • Printed Abstracts of Council and Committee Minutes (B352) 1974-date

Committee and Sub-Committee Reports & Agenda Papers (BCE & BCF)

  • Aid to Industry 1987-date
  • Arts, including Archives, Libraries and Museums 1978-date
  • Bolton Enterprise Centre 1987-date
  • Careers 1986-1993
  • City Challenge 1992-1995
  • Civic Affairs 1980-date
  • Community Economic Initiatives 1986-date
  • Community Education 1990-date
  • Compulsory Competition 1988-1993
  • County Liaison 1986-1989
  • Education 1980-date
  • Environmental Services 1976-date
  • Further Education 1986-date
  • Health 1986-date
  • Housing 1981-date
  • Inner Urban Programme 1986-1989
  • Land 1981-date
  • Leisure 1980-date
  • Licensing 1986-date
  • Management and Finance 1980-date
  • Personnel 1973-date
  • Planning, Engineering and Industrial Development 1986-date
  • Policy Review 1980-date
  • Schools Services 1986-date
  • Social Services 1980-date
  • Youth and Community Services 1986-date

Departmental Records

Arts (BAS)
  • Reports, files and administrative records 1974-1982
Cemeteries (MF) - more detailed index list on the Cemetery Registers page
Electoral Representation (B901)
  • Electoral registers 1974-date
Finance (BF)
  • Rate books 1973-1990
Planning (BPL)
  • Bolton Inner Core District Plan 1978-1981
  • Bolton Metropolitan Borough Plan 1975-1977
  • Bolton Town Centre Map Review 1965-1973
  • Farnworth District Plan 1975-1979
  • Greater Manchester Development and Structure Plans 1975-1978
  • Horwich District Plan 1975-1979
  • Jumbles Country Park 1980
  • North West Joint Planning Team 1973-1974
  • North West Recreation Strategy Plan 1977
  • Tonge Bridge Industrial Estate 1978
  • Westhoughton Development Plan 1972-1980

Back to top


Bolton County Borough

The town of Bolton or Bolton-le-Moors was granted a borough charter by William de Ferrars, Earl of Derby, in 1253. Although the original charter does not appear to have survived, a seventeenth century transcription is included in Bishop Bridgeman’s Register (Bolton Archives ZBR/3/1).

In 1838, Bolton became the second town in England (after Devonport) to be incorporated under the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. The new borough consisted of the whole of Great Bolton township, Little Bolton south of the Astley Brook and the Haulgh district of Tonge-with-Haulgh. Part of Rumworth was added by the Bolton Corporation Act of 1872 and part of Halliwell by the Bolton Improvement Act of 1877. The Bolton, Turton and Westhoughton Extension Act of 1898 considerably extended the boundaries to include Astley Bridge, Breightmet, Darcy Lever, Deane, Great Lever, Heaton, Lostock, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton (part), Smithills and Tonge. Bolton was granted County Borough status by the Local Government Act of 1888.

From 1898 to 1974, the boundaries of Bolton County Borough were unchanged. Under the Local Government Act of 1972, the whole of the County Borough became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough in Greater Manchester with effect from 1st April 1974. The records of the County Borough are very extensive and form the nucleus of our archival holdings. Details given here are of necessity very brief and provide only a general indication of material available.

Borough Council (AB)

  • Minute Books 1838-1974
  • Councillors’ Declaration of Interest Books (incomplete)1838-1973

Committee Minutes, Reports and Correspondence (AB & ABCF)

  • Agriculture 1939
  • Air Raid Precautions 1938-1939
  • Amenity Services 1968-1972
  • Arts 1972-1974
  • Astley Bridge District 1898-1950
  • Billeting 1940-1946
  • Borough Extension 1865
  • Building Works 1959-1962
  • Burial Board 1865-1890
  • Central Area Improvement 1923-1939
  • Central Garage 1963-1965
  • Children’s Committee 1947-1968
  • Civic Restaurants 1947-1961
  • Civil Defence 1939-1945
  • Cleansing and Sewage 1851-1974
  • Clothing 1908-1959
  • Darcy Lever-cum-Breightmet District 1898-1923
  • Deane-cum-Lostock District 1898-1923
  • Electricity 1897-1954
  • Entertainment 1948-1968
  • Establishment 1948-1973
  • Estates 1923-1974
  • Finance 1843-1974
  • Fire Service 1847-1974
  • Fuel Advisory 1939-1944
  • Gas  1872-1949
  • General Purposes 1846-1968
  • Great Lever District 1898-1923
  • Halliwell Ward Representatives 1900-1921
  • Heaton District 1898-1923
  • Highways and Streets 1939-1974
  • Housing 1918-1974
  • Hulton District 1898-1974
  • Industrial Development 1917-1953
  • Libraries 1852-1974
  • Lighting 1851-1968
  • Local Government Reorganisation 1969-1973
  • Management 1968-1974
  • Markets 1850-1974
  • Museums 1852-1974
  • National Registration and War Charities 1915-1934
  • Nurseries 1942-1946
  • Parks and Cemeteries 1845-1974
  • Parliamentary 1860-1882
  • Planning 1918-1974
  • Planning (Regional) 1926-1948
  • Police 1838-1968
  • Policy 1968-1974
  • Private Works 1899-1903
  • Public Assistance and Social Welfare 1929-1974
  • Public Health 1847-1974
  • Rates Remission 1847-1858

Committee Minutes, Reports and Correspondence (AB & ABCF)

  • Rating & Valuation 1927-1968
  • Reconstruction 1963-1965
  • Road Safety 1945-1974
  • Rumworth Ward Represntatives 1900-1914
  • Smallholdings 1904-1949
  • Smithills Ward 1898-1923
  • Stationery 1906-1959
  • Technical Instruction 1891-1903
  • Tonge District 1898-1923
  • Town Hall 1863-1874
  • Tramways & Transport 1892-1969
  • Watch 1838-1968
  • Waterworks 1827-1974

Contracts (ABCT)

Including Bolton Town Hall, Civic Centre and Fire Station, fire engines buses, bus station, electricity power stations, baths, wash-houses, libraries schools, markets and museums 1897-1906 and 1937-1955

Departmental Records

Architect’s (ABAR)
  • Plans, elevations and drawings of public buildings, including Bolton Civic Centre, baths and wash-houses, libraries, markets, museums and schools 1900-1970
Cemeteries - more detailed index list on the Cemetery Registers page
Council Solicitor (ABCS)
  • Correspondence and legal papers:  burial grounds, theatres, parks, cemeteries, waterworks, Belmont Estate (Deakin v. Bolton Corporation) 1863-1974
Education (ABS)
  • Annual reports 1903-1913
  • Birth registers 1930-1973
  • Directories 1904-1925
  • Inspectors’ reports 1950-1961
  • Medical inspection registers 1903-1974
  • School admission registers  1941-1974
  • School attendance registers 1933-1974
  • School leavers’ registers 1930-1974
Engineering (ABE)
  • Plans of public works, including roads, street improvements, bridges, sewers, tramways and water supplies 1850-1970
Entertainments (ABEN)
  • Correspondence, posters, programmes, scrapbooks, press cuttings 1951-1974
Finance (ABF)
  • Abstracts of accounts, ledgers and cash books 1838-1974
  • Rate books 1897-1901, 1914-1974
Fire Brigade (ABFB)
  • Inventories, report books, occurrence register 1917-1941
Housing (ABH)
  • Report books relating to housing estates 1918-1939
Hulton Colliery (Pretoria Pit) Disaster Relief Fund (ABHC)
  • Minutes, correspondence, case files, registers, accounts 1910-1975
Industrial Development (ABID)
  • Correspondence, sale particulars and plans relating to redundant cotton mills and other industrial sites 1951-1974
  • Miscellaneous photographs 1870-1927
Libraries (ABL)
  • Annual reports, registers, correspondence, plans and statistics 1853-1974
Markets (ABMA)
  • Ashburner Street Market attendance registers 1933-1971
  • Fairground plans and rentals 1873-1968
  • Hawkers’ register 1934-1963
  • Market Hall registers, plans and correspondence 1850-1970
  • Market Superintendent’s letter books 1892-1922
Motor Taxation and Vehicle Registration (ABV)
  • Registers (BN Series Only) 1903-1920
  • Registers of mechanically propelled vehicles 1963-1977
  • Registration cards 1950-1970
Parliamentary Plans and Papers (ABPP)
  • Plans, reference books, minutes of evidence, reports, surveys and legal papers relating to local acts of parliament, including water, gas electricity supply, boundaries, improvements, railways, tramways 1843-1870
Police (ABJ)
  • Court record books 1839-1851, 1900-1924
  • Examination books 1839-1861, 1874-1935
  • Licensing plans and reports, including public houses, cafes, restaurants, clubs, dance halls, billiard halls, cinemas and theatres 1910-1974
  • Special constables’ register 1914-1925
  • State and occurrence books 1839-1840
Public Health (ABM)
  • Registers and notification books 1881-1965
  • Reports of Medical Officers of Health and School Medical Officers 1874-1972
  • Various local and national reports and publications  1861-1965
Tramways and Transport (ABTR)
  • Committee abstracts  1905-1969
  • Maps and plans  1930-1960
  • Traffic Commissioners’ notes and proceedings 1931-1956
Waterworks (ABW)
  • Letter books and correspondence 1876-1974
  • Plans 1830-1970
  • Superintendents’ and Engineers’ report books 1876-1940
  • Wages books 1897-1930
Miscellaneous Papers (ABZ)
  • Agricultural Shows 1927-1950
  • Air Raid Precautions 1935-1964
  • Appeal Funds 1950-1969
  • Bolton Institute of Technology 1967-1970
  • Bolton Municipal Aerodrome (Proposed) 1928-1948
  • Boundaries 1895-1973
  • Bridgeman Street Baths 1919-1937
  • Burnden Park Football Ground Disaster 1946-1959
  • Cemeteries (also see the Cemetry Registers page) 1853-1907
  • Civic Centre 1931-1957
  • Civic Regalia 1850-1967
  • Civic (Octagon) Theatre 1964-1967
  • Civil Defence 1935-1964
  • Coronations & Royal Visits 1902-1972
  • Employment 1917-1972
  • Freedom of the Borough 1899-1969
  • Hall i’th’Wood Museum 1905-1962
  • Mining Subsidence 1943-1960
  • National Savings Campaigns 1941-1947
  • New Eagley Mills Plans 1833
  • Nurses Home (King Edward VII Memorial at Bolton Royal Infirmary) 1910-1915
  • Regional and Town Planning 1920-1950
  • Ring Roads: Crompton Way and Moss Bank Way 1925-1938
  • Top Storey Club Disaster 1961-1968
  • Town Hall 1863-1938
  • War Charities 1940-1960
  • War Memorials 1918-1964
  • White Bank Estate, Deane 1920-1931
  • Winter Hill Rights of Way Dispute 1896-1906

Back to top


Farnworth Municipal Borough (Af)

A Local Board of Health for the Township of Farnworth in the Parish of Deane was established in 1863 and an Urban District Council in 1894. Farnworth was incorporated as a Municipal Borough in 1939. The whole of the Municipal Borough became a constituent part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough in 1974.

  • Cemeteries - more detailed index list on the Cemetery Registers page
  • Charter of Incorporation and Grant of Arms 1939
  • Financial records 1850-1950
  • Housing survey records 1936-1938
  • Library records 1911-1970
  • Local Board, Urban District & Borough Council and Committee minutes 1863-1974
  • Maps and plans 1846-1967
  • Market records 1918-1952
  • Members’ declaration books 1863-1927
  • Public health and Medical Officer’s records 1901-1972
  • Rate books 1839-1973
  • Registers of documents sealed 1903-1974
  • Town Clerk’s letter books and correspondence, including Air Raid Precautions and Civil Defence, Bolton Poor Law Union, Cemeteries, Chamber of Trade, Civic Entertainments, Coal Mining Subsidence, Darley Hall, Education and Schools, Electricity Supplies, Fylde Street Disaster, Gas Supplies, Highways and Bridges, Housing, Incorporation, Libraries, Markets, National Savings, Parks, Police, Public Baths, Public Health, Smoke Control, Town Hall, Trade and Labour Council, Tramways and Transport, Unemployment, War Memorials1876-1970
    Unemployment scheme wages books 1922-1928

Back to top


Local Boards of Health and Urban District Councils

Astley Bridge (AS)

A Local Board of Health for the district of Astley Bridge in the Townships of Little Bolton and Sharples was established in 1864 and an Urban District Council in 1894. The whole of Astley Bridge became part of Bolton County Borough under the Bolton, Turton and Westhoughton Extension Act of 1898.

Blackrod (AA)

A Local Board of Health for the whole of the Township of Blackrod was established in 1872 and an Urban District Council in 1894. Blackrod became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough in 1974. Some records are missing, because of flooding.

Horwich (AH)

A Local Board of Health for the whole of the Township of Horwich was established in 1872 and an Urban District Council in 1894. Horwich became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough in 1974.

  • Cemetery - more detailed index list on the Cemetery Registers page
  • Civil Defence and Air Raid Precautions files 1939-1945
  • Financial records and rate books 1911-1971
  • Library records 1887-1915
  • Local Board and Urban District Council and committee minutes 1872-1973
  • Maps and plans 1845-1954
  • Members’ declaration books 1935-1972
  • Military Service Tribunal minutes 1916-1917
  • Public health registers and housing survey records 1901-1964
  • Registers of documents sealed 1955-1973
  • Wages books and employees’ records 1941-1967

Kearsley (AK)

A Local Board of Health for the whole of the Township of Kearsley was established in 1865 and an Urban District Council in 1894. Kearsley was extended to include part of Clifton and also the Ringley area of Outwood in 1933. The whole of Kearsley Urban District became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough in 1974.

  • Financial records and wages books 1866-1954
  • Housing records 1921-1973
  • Local Board and Urban District Council and committee minutes 1865-1974
  • Members’ declaration books 1865-1955
  • Rate books and valuation lists 1900-1966
  • Town Clerk’s correspondence files 1870-1970
  • Unity Brook Colliery Disaster Relief Fund records 1878-1883

Little Lever (AL)

A Local Board of Health for the Township of Little Lever was established in 1872 and an Urban District Council in 1894. It became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough in 1974.

  • Financial records 1872-1937
  • Handbills and miscellanea 1878-1950
  • Local Board and Urban District Council and committee minute books 1872-1974
  • Members’ declaration books 1873-1939
  • Public health journal 1897-1914
  • Rate books and valuation lists 1873-1905, 1955-1962
  • Registers of allotments, factories, outworkers and plans 1933-1973

Turton (AT)

A Local Board of Health for the Township of Turton was established in 1873 and an Urban District Council in 1894. In 1898, Turton was extended to include Belmont, Bradshaw, Edgworth, Entwistle, Harwood, Longworth and Quarlton under the Bolton, Turton and Westhoughton Extension Act. In 1974, the southern part of Turton, including the Bromley Cross area, Bradshaw and Harwood, became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough. The northern area, including Belmont, Chapeltown, Edgworth, Entwistle, Longworth and Quarlton  was added to the Blackburn with Darwen District of Lancashire. Other records are at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.

  • Belmont overseers’ and war relief minutes 1914-1923
  • Copy enclosure plans and awards of Edgworth, Entwistle and Harwood 1797-1860
  • Toppings Housing Estate records 1953
  • Urban District Council and committee minutes 1898-1974
  • World War II evacuation and billeting records 1938-1945

Westhoughton (AW)

A Local Board of Health for the Township of Westhoughton was established in 1872 and an Urban District Council in 1894. Westhoughton was extended to include part of Over Hulton township in 1898, under the Bolton, Turton and Westhoughton Extension Act. The whole of Westhoughton became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough in 1974.

  • Borsdane Wood Joint Committee minutes 1931-1945
  • Burial Board accounts 1857-1944
  • Cemetery - more detailed index list on the Cemetery Registers page
  • Financial records and wages books 1877-1911
  • Local Board and Urban District Council and committee minutes 1872-1974
  • Military Service Tribunal minutes 1916-1918
  • Rate books and valuation lists 1854-1925

Bolton Rural District Council (Ar)

Bolton Rural Sanitary Authority for the Townships of Belmont (formerly Sharples Higher End), Bradshaw, Breightmet, Darcy Lever, Deane (formerly part of Rumworth), Edgworth, Entwistle, Great Lever, Harwood, Heaton, Lostock, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton, Quarlton and Tonge (formerly part of Tonge-with-Haulgh) was established in 1872. Smithills (formerly part of Halliwell) was added in 1877. The Authority became a Rural District Council in 1895. Under the Bolton, Turton and Westhoughton Extension Act of 1898, the Rural District Council was dissolved; Breightmet, Darcy  Lever, Deane, Great Lever, Lostock, Middle Hulton, part of Over Hulton, Smithills and Tonge became part of Bolton County Borough; the remainder of Over Hulton was added to Westhoughton Urban District, and Belmont, Bradshaw, Edgworth, Entwistle, Harwood, Longworth and Quarlton became part of Turton Urban District.

  • Newspaper cuttings books 1894-1898
  • Report on the pollution of the River Tonge 1884
  • Rural Sanitary and Rural District Council and committee minutes 1872-1898

Bolton Poor Law Union (Gbo)

Bolton Poor Law Union, administered by the Board of Guardians, was established in 1837 under the Poor Law Reform Act of 1834. It included the Townships of Bradshaw, Breightmet, Darcy Lever, Edgworth, Entwistle, Farnworth, Great Bolton, Great Lever, Halliwell, Harwood, Heaton, Horwich, Kearsley, Little Bolton, Little Hulton, Little Lever, Longworth, Lostock, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton, Quarlton, Rumworth, Sharples, Tonge-with-Haulgh, Turton and Westhoughton. In 1861, a purpose built union workhouse was opened at Fishpool in Farnworth; before that date, the Guardians had made use of the former township workhouses at Fletcher Street in Great Bolton and Goose Cote Hill in Turton. Other premises built and administered by the Board of Guardians included Kingsgate Institution for ‘casual paupers’ in Bolton town centre, Townleys Hospital (on a site adjacent to Fishpool Workhouse),and Hollins Cottage Homes for pauper children in the same area. The Poor Law Union was abolished in 1929 and its functions transferred to the Public Assistance Committees of Bolton County Borough and Lancashire County Council.

  • Board of Guardians and committee minute books 1837-1930
  • Bolton Union, Farnworth and Kearsley school attendance minutes 1877-1898
  • Correspondence, orders and circulars  1865-1930
  • Financial records 1839-1930
  • Indoor and outdoor poor relief registers 1839-1930
  • Staff personnel files 1870-1930
  • Valuation Lists: all townships in the Union 1911, 1921, 1931
  • Workhouse admission and discharge registers 1839-1930
  • Workhouse birth and death Registers 1839-1941
  • Workhouse inmates’ religious creed registers 1869-1930

Back to top


Townships And Civil Parishes

Under the Provisions of the Act of Settlement of 1662, townships replaced parishes as the main units of local administration in Lancashire and the other northern counties of England. In the parishes of Bolton-le-Moors and Deane, the following places were separate townships: Anglezarke, Blackrod, Bradshaw, Breightmet, Darcy Lever, Edgworth, Entwistle, Farnworth, Great Bolton, Halliwell, Harwood, Heaton, Horwich, Kearsley, Little Bolton, Little Hulton, Little Lever, Longworth, Lostock, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton, Quarlton, Rivington, Rumworth, Sharples, Tonge-with-Haulgh, Turton and Westhoughton. Great Lever was also a township, part of the parish of Middleton. As a result of later population growth and boundary changes in the nineteenth century, a number of new townships or civil parishes were established. These included Bolton (coextensive with the Borough), Deane (from part of Rumworth), Belmont (from part of Sharples), Astley Bridge (from part of Sharples and part of Little Bolton) and Smithills (from part of Halliwell).

Astley Bridge (PAS)

  • Poor rate books  1897-1898

Bolton-le-Moors (PBO)

  • Parliamentary deposited plans  1836-1896
  • Return of poor inhabitants throughout the parish 1686-1699

Breightmet

  • Poor rate books (PBT) 1897-1898
  • Survey and valuation (ZZ/11) 1806

Darcy Lever (PDL)

  • Overseers of the Poor accounts 1769-1834
  • Poor rate books 1897-1898

Entwistle (PEN)

  • Poor rate books 1838-1847
  • Farnworth
  • Rate books (AF) 1839-1863
  • Tithe rentals (ZZ/640) 1776-1789
  • Vestry Minutes PFA) 1824-1843

Great Bolton (PGB)

  • Apprenticeship indentures  1693-1834
  • Census and population returns 1811, 1821, 1831
  • Highway Surveyor’s accounts 1786-1789
  • Overseers of the Poor accounts 1777-1829
  • Poor relief order books 1788-1829
  • Rate books and valuation lists 1770-1837
  • Settlement and removal papers 1700-1844
  • Workhouse accounts 1797-1837

Great Lever (PGL and SLB/27)

  • Apprenticeship register 1802-1827
  • Highway accounts 1847-1873
  • Overseers of the Poor accounts 1803-1827
  • Rate books 1819-1888
  • Survey and valuation 1822

Halliwell (PHA)

  • Constable’s records 1824-1840
  • Overseers of the Poor accounts 1822-1838
  • Plan of the township 1835
  • Rate books 1798-1835
  • Settlement and removal papers 1712-1830
  • Township minute books 1641-1821

Heaton

  • Rate books (PHE)  1873-1898
  • Tithe rentals (ZZ/640) 1776-1789

Horwich (AH)

  • Bolton & Nightingales Turnpike Trust: Doffcocker and Crown toll bar accounts    1819-1824
  • Boundary perambulation records 1824-1842
  • Horwich Moor enclosure minutes 1815-1818
  • Poor law records  1706-1842
  • Tithe rentals (ZZ/640) 1776-1789
  • Township accounts and lists of officers 1713-1818

Kearsley (PKE)

  • Highway Board minutes 1865-1866
  • Nuisance Removal Committee minutes 1856-1865
  • Tithe rentals (ZZ/640) 1776-1789
  • Township and cloth charity account books 1706-1835
  • Vestry and Parish Council minutes 1771-1916

Little Bolton (PLB)

  • Apprenticeship indentures 1731-1793
  • Constables’ accounts 1683-1715
  • Overseers of the Poor accounts 1744-1823
  • Rate books 1794-1841, 1874-1895
  • Settlement certificates 1703-1834

Little Hulton (ZZ/640)

  • Tithe rentals 1776-1789

Longworth (PLO)

  • Poor rate collection papers  1856-1865

Lostock (PLS)

  • Overseers’ letter book 1894-1896
  • Rate books 1853-1898
  • Vestry and Parish Council minute books 1871-1898

Middle Hulton (PMH & SLB/27)

  • Apprenticeship indentures 1728-1832
  • Bastardy papers 1692-1838
  • Constables’ records 1697-1823
  • Highway accounts 1697-1889
  • Overseers’ of the Poor accounts  1694-1833
  • Rate books and valuation lists 1847-1898
  • Settlement and removal papers 1696-1840
  • Survey and valuation 1818
  • Tax assessment papers 1729-1817
  • Vestry and Parish Council minutebooks 1854-1898

Rumworth

  • Rate books 1796-1823
  • Tithe rentals (ZZ/640) 1776-1789
  • Vestry and Parish Council minute books 1865-1898

Sharples Higher End (Belmont) (PSH)

  • Valuations of mills, collieries and other premises 1841

Smithills (PSM)

  • Parish Council minutes 1894-1898
  • Rate books 1878-1897

Tonge-with-Haulgh (PTO)

  • Freeholders’ list c.1815
  • Rate books 1897-1898

Turton (PTU)

  • Overseers’ of the Poor correspondence 1848-1863
  • Plan, survey and valuation list 1831-1833
  • Rate books 1794-1818
  • Township accounts 1724-1852
  • Vestry and workhouse minutes 1801-1852
  • Workhouse rules c.1800

Westhoughton (PWE)

  • Overseers of the Poor accounts 1870-1883

Back to top


Improvement Trusts

Improvement Trusts for each of the townships of Great Bolton and Little Bolton were established by the Bolton Enclosure and Improvement Act of 1792 (32 George III, c.71). The Act provided for the enclosure of Bolton Moor and its division into building lots. Trustees, nominated in the Act, were to apply the rents resulting from enclosure to street improvements, sanitation, lighting, water supplies, fire services and the regulation of markets and fairs. The powers of both bodies of Improvement Trustees were considerably reduced as a result of the incorporation of the Borough of Bolton in 1838; they were finally abolished by the Borough of Bolton Act of 1850 (13 & 14 Victoria, c.xl) and their remaining functions were transferred to Bolton Borough Council. The Little Bolton Trustees’ Minutes, 1792-1816 are missing; they were not with the records passed to Bolton Corporation in 1850.

Great Bolton (TGB)

  • Bolton Moor rentals 1793-1850
  • Financial statements and balance sheets 1792-1850
  • Miscellaneous papers (ZZ/252/3-4) 1813-1850
  • Trustees’ minutes 1792-1850
  • Trustees’ oaths of acceptance of office register 1841-1849

Little Bolton (TLB)

  • Committee minutes 1831-1850
  • Financial records 1830-1850
  • Nuisance removal notice books 1832-1850
  • Trustees’ minutes 1817-1850
  • Trustees’ oaths of acceptance of office and attendance registers 1830-1850

Back to top


School Boards

School Boards were established under the provisions of the Education Act of 1870. They were superseded by education committees of county and county borough councils under the Education Act of 1902.

Bolton (SBB)

  • Board minutes 1870-1884, 1894-1903
  • Committee minutes 1886-1903
  • Mortgage registers 1878-1902
  • Printed minutes and circulars 1881-1903

Heaton (SBHE)

  • Board and Committee minute books 1883-1898

Note: Heaton School Board was superseded by Bolton School Board in 1898.

Back to top


Schools

The amount and type of material held for each school varies; it may include managers’ or governors’ minutes, log books, correspondence and admission records, but not all classes of document have survived for every school listed.

Astley Bridge (SLB)

  • Astley Bridge Wesleyan 1871-1854
  • Bank Top (Sharples British) 1903-1950
  • Holy Infants Roman Catholic 1903-1959
  • St Paul’s Church of England 1862-1980

Blackrod (SLA)

  • Blackrod National (Church of England) 1845-1980
  • Blackrod Wesleyan 1968-1974
  • County Primary 1968-1974
  • County Secondary 1938-1968
  • Rivington and Blackrod Grammar 1951-1976

Bolton (SLB)

  • All Saints Church of England 1900-1959
  • All Saints Street 1872-1877
  • Bolton Art School 1903-1911
  • Bolton Day Training College 1907
  • Bolton (Grammar) School 1808-1907
  • Bolton Municipal Secondary 1896-1923
  • Bolton Technical 1891-1937
  • Chalfont Street 1871-1959
  • Christ Church Church of England 1863-1938
  • Church Institute 1894-1907
  • Clarence Street 1897-1938
  • Clarendon Street 1886-1953
  • Commission Street 1891-1901
  • Derby Street 1891-1975
  • Derby Street Special 1908-1911
  • Emmanuel Church of England 1844-1969
  • Flash Street Special 1898-1946
  • Gaskell Street 1890-1949
  • Higher Bridge St Wesleyan 1862-1883
  • Holy Trinity Church of England 1903-1972
  • Kay Street Special 1903-1941
  • Mawdsley Street 1871-1897
  • Noble Street 1874-1908
  • Pikes Lane 1875-1988
  • Queen St Girls’ Remand 1939-1947
  • St Edmund’s Roman Catholic 1903-1951
  • St George’s Church of England 1864-1966
  • St George’s Road 1893-1901
  • St James’s Church of England 1864-1962
  • St John’s Church of England 1884-1970
  • St Mark’s Church of England 1863-1970
  • St Mary’s Roman Catholic 1870-1984
  • St Matthew’s Church of England 1869-1956
  • St Patrick’s Roman Catholic 1903-1956
  • St Paul’s Deansgate Church of England 1871-1925
  • St Peter & St Paul Roman Catholic 1862-1958
  • Slaterfield 1882-1886
  • Townleys Boys Remand 1942-1947
  • Victoria Wesleyan 1871-1961
  • Wolfenden Street 1913-1978

Breightmet (SLB)

  • Crompton Fold 1909-1951
  • Roscow Fold Endowed 1903-1959
  • St Osmund’s Roman Catholic 1951-1959
  • Top o’ th’ Brow 1931-1951

Congleton (Cheshire) (SLB)

  • Somerford Hall Camp 1945-1951

Darcy Lever (SLB)

  • Darcy Lever Wesleyan 1872-1925

Farnworth (SLFA & AXS)

  • Farnworth Grammar 1909-1981
  • Highfield County Primary 1951-1974
  • Plodder Lane County Primary 1951-1974
  • St  Thomas’s Church of England 1870-1975

Great Lever (SLB)

  • St Bartholomew’s Church of England  1877-1953
  • St Michael’s Church of England 1872-1967
  • St Simon and St Jude Church of England 1901-1962
  • St William’ Roman Catholic 1903-1920

Halliwell (SLB)

  • Brownlow Fold 1875-1979
  • Halliwell Road Wesleyan 1873-1912
  • Jubilee Church of England 1898-1911
  • Oxford Grove 1904-1961
  • St Luke’s Church of England 1888-1904
  • St Paul’s Church of England 1863-1924
  • St Thomas’s Church of England 1903-1950
  • Shepherd Cross Street 1901-1923

Harwood (SLB & SLT)

  • Harwood Church of England 1899-1951
  • Harwood County Junior 1965-1985
  • Harwood Wesleyan 1904-1985

Heaton (SLB)

  • Devonshire Road 1905-1944
  • Heaton Village Private (ZZ/631) 1923-1963
  • Markland Hill 1888-1959
  • Thomasson Memorial Special (Blind and Deaf) 1905-1934
  • Whitecroft Road 1928-1982

Horwich (SLH)

  • Claypool 1972-1974
  • County Primary 1930-1974
  • County Secondary 1945-1973
  • Stocks Park 1971-1974

Kearsley (SLK & AXS)

  • Kearsley West Council 1925-1933
  • Market Street 1906-1911

Little Lever (SLL)

  • Little Lever Congregational 1959-1979

Lostock (SLB)

  • Bolton and County of Lancaster Certified Industrial School 1875-1924
  • Lostock Open Air School 1924-1933
  • St John’s Church of England 1878-1928
  • St Thomas’s Church of England 1892-1964

Middle Hulton (SLB)

  • St Bede’s Church of England, Morris Green 1903-1959

Rumworth (SLB)

  • Brandwood Street 1903-1925
  • Daubhill 1904-1908
  • Deane Church of England 1903-1959
  • St Ethelbert’s Roman 1927-1959
  • St George the Martyr Church of England 1868-1958
  • Sunning Hill 1882-1948

Smithills (SLB)

  • Church Road 1906-1950
  • Smithills Dean 1903-1951
  • Tonge-with-Haulgh
  • Castle Hill 1925-1957
  • Haulgh 1881-1982
  • Ridgway’s Endowed 1903-1959
  • St Augustine’s C.E. 1871-1905
  • St Columba’s R.C. 1933-1959
  • St Stephen, Lever Bridge, C.E. 1903-1959
  • Tonge Fold 1909-1976
  • Tonge Moor 1905-1970

Turton (SLT & AXS)

  • Birtenshaw Hall Special 1956-1989
  • Eagley Mills Evening Continuation 1908-1943
  • Turton County Primary 1949-1972
  • Turton County Secondary 1952-1974
  • Walmsley Girls’ 1795-1797
  • Westhoughton (SLW & AXS)
  • County Primary 1930-1974
  • County Secondary 1930-1974

Back to top


Lancashire County Divisions

Before 1838 in the case of the Borough of Bolton and before 1974 in the case of other areas of the Metropolitan Borough, many aspects of local government administration were the responsibility of  Lancashire County Council and its predecessor authority, the Lancashire Courts of Quarter and Annual General Sessions.

Education

Divisional Executives No.18 and No.25 (AXS) (Farnworth, Kearsley, Little Hulton, Little Lever, Walkden and Worsley)

  • Executive minute books 1946-1974
  • Kearsley Higher and Elementary Education Committee minutes 1930-1944
  • Newspaper cuttings 1936-1967
  • School Managers’ minutes 1951-1974

Libraries

Horwich Local Library Committee (AXL) (Adlington, Aspull, Blackrod, Brazley, and Horwich Branch Libraries)

  • Committee minutes 1932-1973

Little Lever and Kearsley Local Library Committee (AXL)

  • Annual reports 1945-1965
  • Correspondence,1933-1973
  • Little Lever Branch Library plans and specifications 1939

Back to top


Lieutenancy and Militia

Bolton Sub-Division (LB)

The Bolton Lieutenancy Sub-Division included the townships of Anglezarke, Aspull, Blackrod, Bradshaw, Breightmet, Bury, Darcy Lever, Edgworth, Elton, Entwistle, Farnworth, Great Bolton, Halliwell, Harwood, Heap, Heaton, Horwich, Kearsley, Little Bolton, Little Hulton, Little Lever, Longworth, Lostock, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton, Radcliffe, Rivington, Rumworth, Sharples, Tonge-with-Haulgh, Tottington Higher End, Tottington Lower End, Turton, Walmersley-with-Shuttleworth and Westhoughton.

  • Army of Reserve, Militia and Volunteers’ pay rolls 1804-1816
  • Bolton Yeomanry Cavalry muster rolls (ZZ/429) 1827-1846
  • Militia enrolment books  1817-1831
  • Minute books  1800-1860

Back to top


Various Public Utilities

Canals

Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal (ABZ, RR/5, ZZ/344)

  • Plans, accounts, correspondence, legal papers, engineering records 1811-1951

Electricity Supplies

Lancashire Electric Power Company (ZZ/452 & 470)

  • Kearsley Power Station plans and booklets 1913-1936

Gas Supplies

Bolton Gas Company (UGB)

  • Minutes, committee minutes and share records 1818-1876

Farnworth and Kearsley Gas Company (AF)

  • Accounts, reports and correspondence 1906-1933

Railways

Bolton and Leigh Railway (ZZ/212)

  • Photocopies of correspondence and estimates 1824-1826

Bolton Junction Railway Company (ABZ)

  • Correspondence, plans and agreements 1876

Bolton and Preston Railway (RR)

  • Minutes 1836-1843

Horwich Locomotive Works (ZZ/57)

  • Valuations of plant and machinery and financial records 1888-1910

Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company (RR)

  • Engineering plans and drawings, including Blackrod, Bolton Trinity Street, Lostock Junction, Moses Gate and Turton Stations 1847-1914

Roads

Little Bolton and Edenfield Turnpike Trust (ZZ/594)

  • Photocopies of minutes 1797-1817

Radcliffe, Bolton and Bury Turnpike Trust (ZZ/56)

  • Minutes 1836-1849

Water and Sewage

Bolton and District Joint Sewerage Board (USB) (Bolton, Farnworth, Kearsley, Little Lever, Radcliffe, Turton, Whitefield and Worsley)

  • Minutes, committee minutes, reports and accounts 1954-1974

Irwell Valley Reservoirs Scheme (UWR)

The purpose of the scheme was to construct reservoirs on the River Irwell and tributaries to ensure a more regular supply of water to factory owners using water power on the River Irwell and on the Dearden, Folly, Lommy, Ogden and Whitewell Brooks. The promoters of the scheme drew up a parliamentary bill, but this never received the royal assent.

  • Plans and sections of proposed reservoirs and of the Irwell and Reports on water supplies and water falls 1832-1833
  • Survey of use of water and steam power, Farnworth to Crawshawbooth    1833
  • Tributaries 1832-1833

Irwell Valley Water Board (UWJ)

Under the Bury Improvement Act of 1872, Bury and Radcliffe and Haslingden and Rawtenstall Waterworks Companies were taken over by Bury Improvement Commissioners; the Commissioners were replaced by Bury Borough Council in 1876. Bury and District Joint Water Board (Bury County Borough, Municipal Boroughs of Haslingden, Radcliffe and Rawtenstall and Urban Districts of Kearsley, Little Lever, Ramsbottom and Tottington) was set up in 1900. The Board changed its name to Irwell Valley Water Board in 1935. Under the terms of the Bolton Water Order of 1962, the Board was replaced by Bolton Borough Council. The North West Water Authority became responsible for water supplies throughout the area in 1974.

  • Bury and District Joint Water Board minute and committee minute books 1900-1935
  • Bury and Radcliffe Waterworks Company minute books 1853-1872
  • Bury Borough Council Waterworks Commmittee minute books 1876-1900
  • Bury Improvement Commissioners’ minute books 1872-1876
  • Contracts, specifications and tenders 1890-1939
  • Haslingden and Rawtenstall Waterworks Company minute books 1853-1873
  • Irwell Valley Water Board minute and committee minute books 1935-1963
  • Parliamentary plans, minutes, proceedings and petitions 1838-1935
  • Reports and accounts 1900-1962

Turton and Entwistle Reservoir Commissioners (UWT)

The Commissioners were appointed under the provisions of the Turton and Entwistle Reservoir Act of 1832 to construct a reservoir in order to improve the supply of water for power to the owners of factories on the Bradshaw Brook and on the Rivers Eagley, Irwell and Mersey. The Commission was abolished by the Bolton Improvement Act of 1864 and its powers vested in Bolton Borough Council.

  • Commissioners’ minutes 1832-1866
  • Commissioners’ oath books 1832-1861
  • Financial records 1831-1866
  • Gauge books 1835-1841
  • Mortgage books 1833-1861
  • Rate books 1837-1866
  • Tenders for reservoir construction 1833-1836

Back to top