Schools' Library Service
Class Reading Sets
Bolton Schools’ Library Service has an extensive range of class sets of fiction, poetry or plays that can be used to encourage reading for pleasure.View class reading sets
Museum Loan boxes
A selection of themed museum object boxes that you can borrow and use to support in the classroom learning
View our schools' loans boxes
How to book
Advice, Support and Training
Our professional and qualified staff can provide independent advice and assistance on any of the following subjects:
- Stock selection – what to buy, what to keep
- School library re-organisation
- Library and book promotion including Reading Groups
- Organising and planning Book Weeks
- Linking museum workshops and artefacts to the curriculum and literacy development
- Information handling skills
- Reports on School Library facilities
- Implementing post-OFSTED recommendations
- School Library computerisation and online cultural resources
- Recruitment and selection of library staff
Other topics can also be covered
- Loans for one term of up to 25 books delivered and collected by our vans.
- These support curriculum and literacy teaching and are selected by experienced library staff and cover different topic and age/ability levels.
- Resources meet current and changing requirements of the
- National Curriculum up to Years 7 and 8 when available.
- Appropriate stock provided as and when required to support teaching and learning.
Wider Reading Loans (for Primary and Special Schools only)
- Loans of books, predominantly fiction and poetry to supplement schools’ own resources
- Encourage wider reading and promote literacy development.
- Cover all age ranges from nursery to Key Stage 2 (pro rata according to pupil numbers).
- Loans to be retained unless an exchange is requested by the school
- Add variety to a school library's static stock.
- Books chosen by experienced library staff with in depth knowledge of stock.
Class Reader Sets
- Pre-packed boxes of 20 books (approx) of the same title to be used as a class reader.
- Books loaned for up to one term, delivered and collected by our vans.
- Fiction, poetry and play sets available.
- Titles mainly for use at Key Stage 2 (some may be suitable for lower Key Stage 3) covering a variety of genres with guidance on intended age level.
- These can be used to support the Literacy Hour.
- Titles can be reserved up to 1 term in advance to help with lesson planning.
Up to 12 items can be borrowed for 4 weeks by an individual teacher/support worker.
Items can be borrowed from any area of stock e.g. fiction, non-fiction, large format guided reading packs, audio visual, story sacks and special collections e.g. Modern Foreign Languages and Teachers’ Library.
Items requested by telephone can be sent to a convenient public library for the teacher to collect and subsequently return.